Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2016

The thing about love

It's been a while since I've posted, and I apologize for that. With it being final exam time, all papers were due last week and I was swamped. But I am glad that I have a few days before I have to really clamp down and study, study, study!

While driving to work today, a song from my past that was on my phone played, a song which I had not heard in quite a long time. This song wasn't just any song, it was a song that was written for me by the love of my life. I was thirteen years old when I met him, he was the sweetest, cutest and funniest guy. Some would say that our relationship was doomed as he lived in England and I live in Canada, but we made it work. In fact, we made it work for seven years until we finally split for good a year ago in May. This past year has been hard for me as I was so used to talking to him everyday, always having him there for me and now I don't have him to talk too anymore. He was my absolute best friend, we told each other everything and we knew absolutely everything about each other. Although our split was amicable, we have not remained in contact as he has moved on. It's not that I only miss having our romantic relationship, but I truly miss our friendship.

I am finding it quite difficult to move on as he is all I really have ever known. Also, something that I think many millennials can relate to is the difficulty of finding someone who wants a relationship and not just sex. Our generation is often referred to as the "hook up" generation. We would rather sleep around and have hook ups or 'friends with benefits' over having a relationship. I am not looking for a super serious relationship, but I am looking for something more committed than being just friends with benefits.

With third year coming to an end and four months of summer break ahead of me, my goal is to put myself back out there. Meet some guys and go on a few dates. I think that before I can do that though, I will need to learn how to cope with the strong feelings that I have for my ex. I will always love him as he will always occupy a piece of my heart, but it is time to move on like he has and find my happily ever after.

Are you experiencing the same thing? Comment below with your suggestions on how to get back into the game after being in a long serious relationship.

- Trisha

No comments:

Post a Comment